Friday 7 November 2014

Inspiration

Please excuse the delay in getting this online. You see, I was buzzing with excitement this morning. I really couldn’t wait to get back into work and onto the stage.

It was my third rehearsal for Strauss’s Ariadne auf Naxos, in which I sing the Officer (all 9 words: ‘Laß er das sein und geh er zum Teufel’). Not the most inspiring role but in this production, where the prologue takes place AFTER the opera, I get the chance to sit on stage and listen to some of the most glorious singing I have ever heard live, for about 30 minutes. It is truly inspirational stuff. The marriage of Strauss’s romantic writing with some world class singers makes for numerous spine tingling moments, I almost have to stop myself laughing with joy.


Healthy inspiration

Such moments as this mornings on stage act as a healthy inspiration to keep working, keep striving to be better, keep aiming to be the person who is having such an effect on an audience. I say healthy inspiration because I have had to be careful about my inspiration in the past.

As a young Tenor in my second year at University I knew I wanted to be singer, in fact ever since I was a Choirboy at St. Paul’s Cathedral I had some sense that I wanted to sing as an adult. I didn’t really know in what capacity though and for me the world of professional choral music was very easy to access. By the age of 20, having just left University, I was singing with some of the top professional choirs in the UK. My singing heroes were the English Tenor school, Bostridge, John Mark Ainsley, Gilchrist, Padmore and of course Anthony Rolfe Johnson. I tried to sing like them, I tried to sing the music they sang and I hoped to one day emulate them. I also found young singers a few steps up the ladder from me to be inspired by, namely Allan Clayton and my good friend Thomas Hobbs, both successful soloists at a young age. The problem with this, though, is that I am not any of these singers. It is easy with hindsight to realise this, but at the time I was trying to crowbar my voice into a sound world that it doesn’t naturally sit in. For Tom Hobbs in particular, it seemed to me that he could sing so easily in a small consort setting like the Cardinals Musik or Tallis Scholars and also be able to develop a strong concert soloist career. It wasn’t until I had got a place at the Royal Academy of Music that I realised this wasn’t going to work for me, that despite being so keen for it to work out, the path to my career was not going to be the same. When I got to music college I was the same though. I saw other singers doing well and wanted to copy them, I saw them impress people I wanted to do the same. To an extent I got lost in trying to be someone else because I thought that was the only way I was going to succeed.

As I sit here now, with a burgeoning career, and so much wiser (?!?) I am still inspired by Thomas Hobbs (Tom), and other singers, but no longer do I want his career. I want my career. I don’t want to be the next Rolfe Johnson, Clayton of Hobbs, I want to be the first Thomas Elwin (though I also want to be the next Pavarotti, Wunderlich and Gedda). Tom is now one of my best friends, was my best man and we speak regularly. I trust his opinions and ears, we share a singing teacher, a love of cars and curry, and I am proud of the success he has. If anything, I am inspired to be the best I can be more because he strives to be the best he can be.


The Week

One singer Tom introduced me to early on in our friendship was Fritz Wunderlich, the great German tenor. Fritz has been a constant throughout the last 8 years of my singing life. It is a rare week that doesn’t include me listening to him singing something, usually Mozart. I was delighted on Sunday, therefore, to find myself in the dressing room here in Stuttgart which has Fritz’s picture on it’s wall.




It was in Stuttgart that Fritz was in the soloists Ensemble, and as I left the dressing room, to go onto the stage and sing Ferrando in a Sextet from Mozart’s ‘Cosi Fan Tutte’, I pictured myself following in his footsteps.

The Cosi sextet was the first item in Oper Stuttgarts 5 year Opera Studio Anniversary concert and was sung by the six of us who are in this years studio. It was the first chance that the six of us have had to sing together and I had a great time. The concert also featured about 20 other singers from the 5 years of the studio and they sang various arias and ensembles in a what was a great evening for everyone involved.

Inevitably there were drinks and photos afterwards, I met numerous supporters of Oper Stuttgart and the odd agent/artist manager. I couldn’t stay too long though because on Monday I was on stage again at 10 am for a Khovanshchina rehearsal and then in the evening was the final performance of Der Freischütz.

Careful what you say

Probably because I was so tired after a crazy 9 days, the last show of Freischütz was by far the worst I did. Though this was not helped by a member of the music staff warning me, before the show, to be careful because often the last show is the worst. Suddenly all I could think of was what I was going to do wrong and in a self-fulfilling prophesy I scrambled the words of each verse in my song, virtually making up the last line. Though I know she was only trying to be helpful, there is something to be said for getting yourself into a zone and virtually ignoring the people around you before a show. The other six shows were absolutely fine and there really was no need to worry about it.  

With Freischütz finished the rest of the week has been a mixture of Khovanshchina and Ariadne rehearsals. The Mussorgsky continues to use up it’s luxurious 6 week rehearsal process with little urgency, which can be frustrating, but I think it will be a great show. In contrast, I was only introduced into the Prologue of Ariadne on Wednesday morning 4 days and 3 rehearsals before the opening night, this Sunday.



Settling in

I feel pretty settled here now. I have finally started to eat more healthily, despite being keen to experience the local kebabs and ice cream, and have been running a few times through the big park. The weather has been changeable, one day it was like Manchester in February but today it is clear and crisp. My colleagues continue to be kind and supportive. In this sense I feel very lucky to have landed in Stuttgart.

I have managed to work out how to watch UK sport on my laptop so I have caught up with West Ham United’s quite remarkable start to the season and this weekend I can’t wait to watch England beat the All Blacks at Twickenham.


Thanks

Thank you again for you who read this, who have commented or contacted me. Without that I doubt I would have reached 9 weeks of blogging and I will endeavour to reach the end of my time in Stuttgart with this blog.

Those of you so inclined to do so check out my new Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/ThomasElwinTenor where you will be able to read little posts and see photos of my day to day singing life.

I’ll leave you with this link to some great new tracks from The Wealden, featuring a friend and former colleague of mine on Vocals, Tim Dickinson. Enjoy!

Hope you all have a wonderful week,


Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment