Friday 28 November 2014

First night politics

I am not going to patronise you all with a potted history of German culture over the last 100 years, I am not qualified to do so for one, aside from a very interesting course entitled ‘Music between the World Wars’ I took whilst at University. I was particularly interested, though, to read Peter Brathwaite’s article in the Guardian yesterday (Guardian Classical Music article), about the suppression of culture under the Nazi’s, in the same week as our production of Khovanshchina opened at Oper Stuttgart.

This production is directed by Andrea Moses (in the English sense of Director, ie. Regie auf Deutsch), a child of the GDR, or East Germany, and her show highlights the conflicts between East and West, capitalism and communism, and, as Andrea has us observe, Coca –Cola and Spirituality. Whether Khovanshchina is an ideal fit for Andrea’s political message or not, the sense of her own conflict, as someone driven to create art for arts sake yet who finds herself battling the economic forces of our current situation, shines through. Her respect for the writings and practises of Bertold Brecht is also quite evident here. It is also quite evident in her production of La Boheme which I saw here earlier in the week, a production which has a Christmas tree with the Mercedes badge as its star….

Andrea’s situation intrigues me. Unaware that there was still a sense of divide some 25 years after the reunification of Germany, I have instead been delighted by the openness and engagement with culture that occurs here. There doesn’t seem to be that sense of reverse snobbery that high art in the UK suffers from. Yet for Andrea, Stuttgart feels conservative, unengaged, lacking the liberal edge of Berlin or Leipzig (the new Berlin apparently).

I look forward to learning more about the politics and culture of contemporary Germany in the next few months……


First night

As mentioned, this was the week Mussorgsky’s Khovanshchina premiered. A show we have been rehearsing for almost 7 weeks and Andrea Moses’s last production in Stuttgart, having been here as full time Regie for three seasons.

I always find first nights strange. The closer one gets to the opening night the more people tend to be around. As I listed in a previous blog, there are hundreds of people working on this show and it is only in ones dressing room that a moment of quiet can be found. That is until opening night. On opening night, particularly for a ‘new’ production, the dressing rooms are like Piccadilly Circus (that’s very busy for the non-English who don’t get the reference). Every two minutes another person knocks on the door to offer their best wishes for the performance. Fortunately I don’t have a set routine pre-show, not yet anyway, but if I did such disturbances would be a nuisance.

The show went well, I think. I enjoyed myself, partly due to the fact that I knew we wouldn’t have to rehearse the piece any more, but mostly because I am an Opera singer and I love performing on stage. All the performers received positive curtain calls, I even got a few cheers which was nice.

The production team, Regie (director), designer and two other guys, I have no idea what they did, took a bow and received a mixed response including a few boos which was exciting.


First night party

The show, lasting just under 3 ½ hours, was followed by the premier party. Taking place in the first floor foyer of the Opera house, it seemed like most of the audience were in attendance.  Here Jossi Wieler, the Intendent or Big Boss, talked about the performance, thanked people and introduced Andrea to the stage. Andrea then talk about the performance and show, about her time in Stuttgart, and then introduced each member of her production team who, one by one, came up to the stage and took a bow. Then Eva Kleinitz, the Director of Opera, introduced each of the Soloists, one by one, each of us heading up to the stage and taking an individual bow and applause.

If I have learnt anything over the 12 weeks here, which I hope I have, taking a gracious bow and kind words of audience members is something. I no longer bow like a shy, embarrassed Englishman. I don’t yet bow like a proper Tenor, hand to heart slowly leaning forward, the nod of the head, slowly back up etc. That may come, one day.

Once the formalities had finished it was then lovely to have a drink with colleagues from the cast, orchestra, chorus and those who had attended the show. To be able to finally relax after what had not been the easiest of rehearsal processes was great.


Take care

An aspect of my performance in Khovanshchina I need to improve on is falling over. Not randomly falling over I might add. Without wanting to ruin the excitement for you all, I get pushed or thrown to the ground three times in the show. Each time I am pushed harder than the last time and the third fall is meant to be quite dramatic, with my gun flying across the stage and there being quite a loud bang.

I have been taught how to fall on stage, there is a technique to it and for the first two falls I do that quite well. Unfortunately, the third fall has become an issue. In the pre-dress rehearsal I fell awkwardly on my left elbow, lightly bruised, it is now fine. As a result, on the dress rehearsal I tried not to fall on my left elbow but instead fell heavily (I am getting thinner but am not light-weight yet) on my right forearm and elbow with an immediate sharp pain following. Of course for the opening night this was a worry so I put a pad onto my right elbow and landed square on it, making it worse again. Will I ever learn….


Four shows – easy week

Despite having four performances this week, two Ariadne’s, two Khovanshchina’s, it has felt like an easy one. The KBB, or administrative core of the Opera House, tend not to give you anything else to do on a show day and often leave the day before a show free. This has meant time to myself for the first time in a while.

I have been able to go on a few nice runs through the big park, started to learn some music for future concerts and also caught up on sleep.

As I mentioned last week, lack of sleep and dehydration are the major voice killers for me. So, stupidly, I arranged to record some arias last Friday night, at the end of a busy week when I was suffering from ‘Opera-lag’, a term I will continue to use.  Not surprisingly the session didn’t go very well and I cancelled it 15 minutes.

Importantly, with the time and space this week ,I have been able to get back to doing my daily vocal exercises. These vary day to day but are based on the work I do with Gary Coward. For me they are just like the training sessions professional sportspeople do every day, they are that important. Shock horror, a few days in and I feel a hundred times better vocally and in myself (there is always a correlation between the two).  

Busy Stuttgart

The massive Weihnachtmarkt, or Christmas Market, finally opened in the middle of Stuttgart this week. I was expecting it to be big but not quite as big as it is. This means the centre of Stuttgart is heaving with people, all walking very slowly. I haven’t yet spent any money in the market, being in the opera studio I don’t actually have much money to spend (that topic is for another week) but my parents  visit next week and I will no doubt share a Gluhwein with them at some point.

With no production rehearsals until early January I now have some space to learn German better, exercise well, learn music and continue to build my voice. I really enjoy the process of working on my voice, most of the time, and will enjoy getting fit and being able to speak German too, so it should be a good month or so.

Wishing you all a great week.

Tom



Follow me:My Twitter page
Read about me: www.thomaselwin,com

Contact me: thomaselwin@hotmail.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment