Friday 8 May 2015

More to life than Mozart?

I won’t bore or upset you all with a long discussion about this mornings developments in UK politics. Whether you are happy or not about the result, I hope that the political scene going forward is a positive, pro-active and hopeful one rather than the fearful and negative one of the last few months. I also hope that the new Government will appreciate the huge benefit, financially and otherwise, that a well-funded Arts sector brings.

There is a danger that if I start to write much more about the politics of the Arts in society I will be going off topic for this blog but, as you can imagine, it is something I am passionate about and may one day lead me towards a more politically active life, whatever that might mean. We shall see….. First things first, a career in Opera!!


Back and Forward

This week has been a bit busier and engaging at the Opera house with rehearsals and coachings for three different operas.  

The Jomelli opera, ‘Il Vologeso’ we did a few months ago, (you may remember it as the opera I bring my immense stage-hand skills to) is back for six more performance. Two of these will be filmed for a DVD release and will probably find itself onto YouTube at some point, as most things seem to.  So we have had a few rehearsals just to make sure everyone remembers what they are doing. 

Unfortunately one of the singers is unwell so a late replacement has been brought over from London to sing the role from the side of the stage while the assistant director acts it. The reputation that British singers of being able to learn music quickly is often a useful one for ‘jump in’ opportunities.

Cosi Fan Tutte rehearsals have now, mostly, moved onto the stage and so for some of the week I have been sat in the stalls of our lovely theatre, watching the production fit into its proper home. Despite quite impressive rehearsal sets and costumes, there are always little changes and challenges when the production goes on stage, as I have mentioned before. With the opening night not for another three weeks we are lucky here to have plenty of time for these issues to be ironed out.

I have not been called upon to jump in since the first week of Cosi rehearsals and this has given me the time to learn Act 2 a bit better. The fear of some of the ten page long recitative sections has now subsided and I find myself singing random lines of text as I walk around town, so have been getting a few more funny looks than usual.

The third production I am preparing for is Verdi’s Rigoletto with the role of Borsa being my final covering role this season. It’s fair to say I am probably a tiny bit behind where I would like to be in terms of preparation for the role, nothing that a few hours in a room and a piano won’t sort out.


Summer Stuttgart

The sun has been shining brightly most of the week and I have used the good weather to fit in some nice park runs. Over 30km run so far this week, not bad going and it is helping me get back on the fitness wagon.

The good weather has also been a big help for the ‘International Flick Festival 2015’ which has been in town, with a large screen set up in the main square showing various animated films, including Toy Story 2.

I love the cinema and films in general and find it’s a good way to relax.


Far away

A few years ago I was having a singing lesson with Dennis O’Neill in Cardiff, in a lovely big house not too far from the cricket ground. It was a bright day, not unlike the weather here this week, and I commented how nice it was to be there. He agreed and then, and I will never forget him telling me this, said:
                ‘it’s lovely to come back to, being an opera singer is incredibly lonely, I’m lucky to have this but I haven’t been here very much’

Fortunately I have been in this one place for the last 8 months, and I have made some friends here, but, particularly leaving my wife back in England, I have found times in Germany incredibly isolated and alone. Something I am going to have to learn to deal with.

The cinema helps, even if I go alone which is something I do in England too.

But further to the question of this blog, So I want to be an Opera Singer? There are always further questions. How much? How much am I willing to sacrifice? How long am I willing to have no money and live away from wife, family and friends? How ambitious am I? What makes me happy? What am I without the singing? What else could I do?

It isn’t compulsory to be an Opera singer. I have chosen to be here in some hope that I will have a career develop and that this career will be fulfilling artistically, emotionally and financially enough to have an actual life outside of the music. Would I be better off getting a job in London, earning better money, being at home, doing music on the side? Would I miss the stage, the music, the audiences?

Well I am still here, I still think this is the right way for me, my wife and I, and for our future. But I think it is important to have those questions being asked of us – there is, after all, more to life than Mozart!

Until next time.


Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment