Friday 13 March 2015

Springtime for Elwin in Stuttgart

Having returned to Stuttgart last Thursday in order to sing Abdallo in our 8th performance of Nabucco, it was good to meet our new title character, 5 minutes before the curtain came up. In this particular run of Nabucco every character except two, mine and mezzo Fenena, have been double or triple cast. In fact I am never totally sure which singers I will be about to meet on stage which adds a bit of excitement to the evening. This is not unique to Nabucco. As anyone will see when they look at Opera company websites, roles are often double or triple cast over a production run, not just in Ensemble houses like Stuttgart.

Saturday’s performance was an eventful one with three members of the audience being taken ill, and the commotion of the third illness causing the show to finish early, about ten pages before the end and with no applause. It was a very strange feeling on the stage itself, as we saw people leaving their seats, doors opening, Doctors rushing in and then the orchestra stopping, the curtain closing and the stage clearing, no one really sure what had happened. Happily, we were told, the three audience members are all now ok.


Back again

The next morning, Sunday, I flew back again to London for a Messiah at the Leith Hill Music Festival. What with my inability to sleep quickly after a performance and the need to get up early for the flight, I was quite tired and being woken up by the air hostess, asking me if I wanted a drink, didn’t improve things.

The Leith Hill Music Festival was founded by Ralph Vaughan Williams, 110 years ago, and takes place at Dorking Halls, Dorking, Surrey. I actually went to school a few miles from Dorking in Leatherhead and it was nice to be back in the area. 

If anyone has ever tried getting public transport from London Heathrow to Dorking on a Sunday I empathise. The journey which by car would take 45 minutes took me just under 3 hours, but I was given a warm welcome when I eventually arrived at Dorking Halls and had a great evening singing Messiah to an audience which included a friend and supporter, my singing teacher and my old German Teacher from School, a man who never had much of a sense of humour and failed to see the irony of me living and working in Germany having been so average at the language as a 14/15 year old.

It was good to perform with some friends and colleagues too. Brian Kay, the conductor, former Kings Singer, radio presenter and many other things, first booked me to sing with him about three years ago and I have since sung for him on five occasions. Such faith in my singing makes for a relaxed and enjoyable time and I look forward to being back to sing for Brian at the beginning of April. It was also nice to sing next to Marcus Farnsworth, the English Baritone. I have known Marcus for 9 years, since I was a undergraduate in London and he was studying in Manchester, we haven’t sung a lot together but we both came from choral backgrounds, went through the Royal Academy’s masters and then Opera courses and are now working as Opera singers. It was very nice to catch up.


And back to Stuttgart

Just 28 hours in London, having seen my wife for about 45 minutes, and I was back at Heathrow flying back to Stuttgart in order to be there for Nabucco no. 9 on Tuesday.

Before Nabucco, I had an hour in the recording studio at the Stuttgart Music Conservatoire, across the road from the Opera House. This had been arranged for a few months and I recorded two arias, quickly, before rushing back to the Opera house for Nabucco. I have recorded quite a lot in my singing life, at least 30 different CD’s as a choral singer, both as a boy and a tenor. I haven’t recorded a lot as a soloist and it is quite brutal listening back to yourself sometimes. People often say they learn a lot from the recording process and using my critical ears to asses my own singing, albeit singing when I was not in the best of voices, was hard at first. I wasn’t exactly expecting to sound like Fritz Wunderlich as I listened back, but maybe a bit more like him would have been nice.
Sure enough, on Wednesday, after a few days of travelling and performing a lot and sleeping little, I woke up with a sore throat and cancelled the only coaching I had that day.


Know your body

As you may have picked up by now, if you have been following my whole blog, singers need to be aware of their own bodies and health. In fact we are often super aware of every little change in sensation to do with our voices. I knew the sore throat was coming on Tuesday, I know full well that lack of sleep is a voice killer and I just wanted to get through Nabucco and then use the next few days catching up. Happily, taking Wednesday to recuperate worked a treat and yesterday I was back at the Opera house rehearsing for the Opera Studio concert in a car dealership (I will explain next week).
I am proud to have reached the middle of March having performed 37 nights on the Stuttgart stage and only missed two rehearsals due to illness in that whole time. Particularly following the disaster of the summer of 2013, I know how careful one has to be and so, touch wood, hopefully I will go the rest of the season, only 7 more performances, with the same record.


Next

This coming week we have the last Nabucco of the run followed by the Opera studio concert on Wednesday and an audition in Cologne on Friday, where I will be meeting up with another friend and colleague.

There continue to be a few developments regarding my 2015/16 season and I look forward to sharing those with you when they are more concrete.

In the meantime, I am going to go and enjoy the sun. Spring had truly sprung in Stuttgart.

Until next week,



Bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment