Sunday 28 September 2014

Oh, so that's what you sound like!

To quote Mr JS Bach, ‘Es ist vollbracht, and oh how satisfying it is’ (I’m not sure he said the second bit….).

To what am I referring I hear you scream. Well, this afternoon (Saturday), as my chicken nuggets started to turn black in the oven, I had the most satisfying session making the bed I have ever had. Having gone to boarding school at the age of 7, I have been making my own bed pretty regularly for 21 years. In fact as choirboys in the boarding school we used to race each other to see who could change their bed the fastest. Oh, the fun we had. Yet not even beating my biggest bed-changing-race rival as a 9 year old was as satisfying as making my bed just now.

Those of you who have read the previous two posts will know that the issue of my bed has been hanging over me. My failure to realise that I needed to order ‘Lattenrost’ , or slats, had left me with an empty frame in the corner of my room, snarling at me each time I came home. Like an art installation meant to ridicule me it has threatened to destabilise my settling in process. I am delighted to announce that the slats have now arrived and as I sit here writing the ridiculing has stopped and the soft sheets now almost flirt with me, begging me to stop what  I am doing and make the most of our time together….. OK. Enough. I have a bed. Happy days!


Great people

Much else has happened this week both inside and outside the opera house. I continue to meet friendly, supportive colleagues who inspire me in both their professional and personal lives.

Sunday was a very good example of this. I had arranged to spend some of the day with Henry Waddington, a British bass over here as a guest artist currently rehearsing ‘Jakob Lenz’. I was in the chorus at Garsington Opera in 2009 when Henry sang Don Magnifico in Cenerentola. He had also arranged to meet up with another artist working here and so the three of us ended up visiting the beautiful town of Esslingen. It really is a very picturesque town which, Wikipedia tells me, was almost untouched in the 20th century conflicts. Having spoken to a couple of locals in Esslingen, the three of us headed through the old town centre and up many stairs to a little restaurant on the hill. Here I introduced Henry to ‘maultaschen’ – which are Schwabian ravioli, and we talked about singing, as singers do. The third member of our party was Swedish Mezzo Katerina Karneus, who it turns out won Cardiff Singer of the World in 1995 and has had an intriguing career path since then including at one stage living in South Africa and at many stages having to alter the pattern of her work due to her personal circumstances. She is in Stuttgart to perform in Tristan und Isolde.

However informative and educational Music Colleges are, I think everyone should have to attend a meal with two or three current working singers. With me acting almost like a young journalist, adding the occasional question, Henry and Katerina discussed their careers, their work/life balance, their singing teachers, opera companies, artist managers and so on. Don’t get me wrong, I did talk myself too, and it wasn’t exactly an ‘audience with Henry and Katerina’ but I am very grateful for the time they did spend talking about aspects of being an Opera singer.

As part of my contract this year I am understudying/covering a few roles. This means that if the singer of that role is unwell then I end up singing it instead. The first of these roles is the short unaccompanied ‘Young Sailor’ in Tristan und Isolde. So on Monday evening I attended the run of act 1 of Tristan, listening to my role being sung by German/Argentinian Tenor Daniel Kluge, a member of the ensemble. I also then got the chance to listen to some wonderful singing from Katerina herself. As she had said over lunch the day before, the routes of her technique come from the Bel Canto school, and in fact the way she spoke about singing was very similar to Henry and my teacher, Gary Coward. It was great to hear such a beautifully produced, unforced sound soaring out of the thick Wagnerian texture.

Hearing Katerina reminded me to be true to my own voice, no matter what the repertoire is. Trying to ensure that the basic production of sound, technique etc. is consistent throughout everything one sings. This thought was confirmed further on Tuesday and Wednesday when I and the rest of the Opera Studio had a Masterclass with a lady called Jane Thorner.


English Tenor? – Tenor who is English?  – British Tenor?

Jane Thorner was not someone I knew of before the Masterclass this week. She is based in Switzerland and teaches singing there with her husband. I had heard from Bettina Giese, the head of the Opera Studio, that the sessions would be energetic and wonderful and that she always does good work. This was all good to hear of course, but following the issues I had in 2013 (read my first blog post) and the work and time I put into getting things on track, I am very stubborn about how I sing. I am very proud of the work I have done with my teacher and, knowing how much of a mental challenge singing can be, I really don’t want people to waltz in and knock me off course.

In addition to the worries I had about the teaching in the Masterclass I was also aware that this was the first time my colleagues would hear me. So much talking had happened before then, so many opinions expressed about other singers… ‘have you heard them’…. ‘he is amazing’ etc. Yet now that all stopped and this was it.

I very much doubt I am the only person in the world to have self-doubt in such situations. As I have said to my wife in the past, the running commentary of worries and negativity in my head is exceptionally dull and monotonous. This is something that I have needed to sort out , and there are people one can go and see who help performers of all sorts work through mental challenges.  One aspect of these thoughts are the sense of being unworthy, a fraud who will one day be found out and face an announcement in the theatre….

‘please will Herr Elwin collect his things from the dressing room and allow real professionals to do their job.’

 This fear of not being good enough is counter balanced by a drive to succeed, achieve and, if I am being totally honest, to impress people. To impress colleagues, and friends and audiences. To impress everyone.

Part of the potentially fraudulent aspect of my fledgling career is my voice. The instrument that is me, shaped by the size of my head, chest, vocal chords, strength of my supporting muscles and so on. In my case, being English and a Tenor has always had certain connotations. Having come from a background as a choral singer, both as a boy soprano and as a Tenor, I am so aware of that term – the English Tenor. The voice that can do contemporary music, sings Bach and Handel well, performs song with intelligence and doesn’t allow the voice to get in the way. All horrible generalisations of course. With my background this is where I should be placed, somewhere between the Bostridges and John Mark Ainsley’s of this world. Yet that is not my voice. Far from it. My voice is at home in Bel Canto music, Donizetti and Bellini, young Verdi and most of the Mozarts. Yet how do I fit in amongst the great Italian tenors of the past or the bus load of young South American singers who dominate the young lyric tenor scene? Where does this posh sounding east London lad fit into that?

The answer is of course that there is no reason for me not to fit in and if anything it will be this sense of self-doubt that would prevent it.

This is the biggest lesson that I got from the Masterclass with Jane Thorner because, despite the self-doubt and quizzical looks from Bettina, I chose repertoire that I know is me. I sang Edgardo’s aria from Donizetti’s Lucia Di Lammermoor, the Italian singers aria from Rosenkavalier by Strauss, ‘Questa O Quella’ from Rigoletto and a beautiful Bellini song called ‘La Ricordanza’, as well as Tamino’s opening aria from Die Zauberflote. All worked on in details over the 3 hours of sessions I was allocated. And it was a success. A real success. The work we did was great, it opened me up a bit, gave me the confidence to just sing and perform. In particular the Rosenkavalier aria, which isn’t known for being easy and I have worried about for a while. The simple work we did to help alleviate fear suddenly turned the high B into an almost enjoyable note.

Without prompting her, Jane told me to change my attitude. To be confident as a Tenor who is English and happens to sing the music that I do. Also, not to feel like I should justify it because that is just the way the cards have been dealt.    Self-explanatory stuff really but sometimes one needs reminding.  


South American Tenor

Talking of the ‘bus load of South American Tenors’ brings me back to last Sunday, and the ‘spielzeiteröffung’ or season opening. This was a 90 minute talk with musical extracts which introduces the season to the Stuttgart public. Coming towards the end of my 2nd week in Stuttgart I thought I would be ok with sitting through a 90 minute talk in German. Apparently, though, one can only concentrate for so long and this particular 90 minute German listening exam was a step too far.
Brain frazzled, I was delighted for each musical interlude. These included a section from Mussorgsky’s Khovanschina, which I am in later in the season, a long section from ‘Jakob Lenz’ which did nothing to ease my brain, an aria from Cosi performed by Ronan Collett and finally ‘La Donna E Mobile’ performed by Stuttgart’s own resident South American tenor, Atalla Ayan.
I had heard a lot about Atalla Ayan, the Brazilian Tenor, not yet into his 30’s and already having debuted at Covent Garden, with the MET and at numerous houses in Germany singing all the repertoire that I hope to make my own. Sure enough his Duke aria was great, a few things I might have done differently if I am honest, but the thing that really stood out was that he just performed it, with confidence and flair. Like a songbird wishing to be heard by everyone around, the resulting audience reaction was no surprise.

His career is one to be inspired but not intimidated by. Maybe someone will talk about me in the same way one day….. maybe.


Curry time

At the end of the week I decided to bring a little of my own family tradition to Stuttgart and cooked curry for my Opera studio colleagues.

Having been born in India whilst his father was a Doctor out there, my own father has always felt a strong affinity with India and ever since I was very young we have had home cooked curries. In recent years, as my two sisters and I have spread ourselves far and wide across the globe, the family curry has marked special occasions. We had a family curry the weekend before my little sister left for Japan (she blogs too at paperplane89.wordpress.com ), one the night before I got married and one before I came out here.  I often cook curry for my wife at home and it is a family tradition that will no doubt continue.

Therefore, as a way for us to wind down at the end of the intense week, I invited the rest of the Opera studio as well as Ashley Prewett who was on the studio last year and Bettina, the head of the studio, to mine for a Friday night curry.

The process of cooking the curry wasn’t as easy as it would be in London of course. High street north, near to where my parents live, is a little India in east London. If you can’t find the right ingredients for your curry down high street north then you aren’t cooking Indian food. Stuttgart has no high street north. There are many Turkish people in the area, more kebap shops than anywhere else I have been to, and the accompanying Turkish supermarkets. In terms of Indian cuisine though, Stuttgart is lacking.

I did manage to stumble upon some mango chutney, mint sauce and sharwoods curry powder in one of the more expensive supermarkets here. I also substituted home made naan bread for very similar Turkish bread from a local backerei, a steal at 35 cents a pop. My colleagues brought with them bier, wine, cake and ice cream and we had a lovely evening.

I was delighted that one of my flat mates, Rui from China, joined us too and he was extremely grateful to have met my friends. He mentioned to me that he felt very lucky to know me as I was so good at making friends. Whether this is true or not, I did sit back and appreciate how lucky I am to be part of such a friendly Opera house. Three weeks in and I continue to make new friendships and build on the ones I have already made. From dinner with Henry and Katerina, to the curry, to this evenings drinks I will be having with two other colleagues (more about that next week).  Its all good.


Missing home

Having said all of that, I still miss home, despite having been at boarding school for so long and being so used to being away from home. My wife is not here with me, I cannot sleep in my own bed, I can’t drive my car or buy all the Indian food I could ever want, or marmite.

In a couple of weeks I will be missing my nieces 2nd birthday party, probably a family curry, and will no doubt miss many more events. All in the name of being an almost fully fledged opera singer. Madness really.

One event I am sad to be missing is the memorial service for my former Headmaster, Chris Tongue, who sadly passed away this week. Mr Tongue was an extremely supportive Headmaster during my time at St. John’s School, Leatherhead, where I took my GCSE’s and A Levels. He would attend every match, be it 1st XV or Under 14 C team, every play, concert, debate etc. with the same enthusiasm and charm. He emailed me recently to congratulate me on my career developments and I am only too sad to not have been able to see him before he passed away.

Mr Tongue was one of those people that we musicians need in life. An encouraging, supportive force who helps enable us to make the decision to continue in this mad career. I have so many memories of him taking time to talk to me and encourage me, making me feel recognised and appreciated. A wonderfully human skill to have. He will be sorely missed. Rest In Peace Mr Tongue!


My first show

Next Sunday, the 5th of October, I have my first performance here. So far I have only had one rehearsal for it as it is a revival. This involved sitting and watching the DVD of the 1980 production and trying the copy it, a difficult skill to master. I will tell you more about the rehearsals and build up to my debut in the next blog, including a possible sighting of me in Lederhosen.
Before then, I hope you have a lovely week,


Tom 

1 comment:

  1. We're really enjoying the updates. Sounds like you're really making yourself at home now, which is great. No doubt you'll be looking forward to next weekend though! Dx

    ReplyDelete